The Best Day!

Thursday 23 March 2017

Today was a good day - a very good day! One that was emotional and that I am completely exhausted from, but one I'll always remember.
Today I got to go in my school and take part in the World's Greatest Shave with the staff and students. 

I'll admit it's been pretty hard not teaching this year - Luke will attest to me saying one of the first things when getting diagnosed I was worried about was 'what about school?', 'what am I going to do about my class?' - I was crushed. Last year I absolutely loved my first full year teaching Year 5, I was beyond excited to know I would be teaching Stage 3 again this year but other plans were in the works for now.

At the beginning of my diagnosis I had mentioned to a few people that the World's Greatest Shave would fall during my treatment, I had even joked that I 'may' have started to lose my hair by this time hahah - what a joke that was! Try ALL of it. 

I wanted to raise some money for an organisation that helps people just like me. As scary as it was at the beginning, once I had a diagnosis my treatment plan was all mapped out for me. I didn't have to think, research, all I had to do really was to turn up. I don't think I could have been merely as positive or as (semi) calm as I was without all of this! I was so excited when the teachers at school rallied around and decided to participate in the World's Greatest Shave. 

Even though the day was in the middle of my chemo week I wasn't going to let that stop me - I couldn't wait to go in and see everyone. The day was so fun! I was truly blessed by having a roaring entry with kids shouting my name, saying hello and greeting me with beautiful smiles (they had been told it was a strict no touch policy haha). They had raised money through a mufti day and the kids got to colour their hair. 
I had a team of four egg heads and four unicorns that shaved or coloured their hair for me. I even managed to get through most of my speech without crying - yay!

"On this crazy roller-coaster ride I’ve been on so far: I've learnt that I am strong and so are you - so much stronger than you think you ever could be. Sometimes things don't go exactly go your way and you might get knocked down. But the most important thing is that you get back up and keep on trying. Sometimes you can get back up on your own, all by yourself, other times you might need a little help from a friend and sometimes you have a whole school that rallies behind u filled with beautiful students, teachers and parents lifting you up to new heights you never could have imagined. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all".




No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs